Saturday, July 12, 2008

Notes on Notes

I really need to take notes.  Detailed notes.

I didn't really think about it when I first started experimenting with dyeing my yarn.  I was just playing around, seeing what would happen.  

Well, what happened is I got results that I would love to be able to repeat, but may not be able to, because I didn't take notes.

I decided to try overdyeing some light blue yarn I got on clearance (specifically for this purpose) with Pink Lemonade Kool-aid.    I soaked the yarn and mixed up some Kool-aid.  The only real measure I have is that I used 3 packets of Kool-aid for the 3.5oz of yarn I was dyeing.  I had added some vinegar to the water/dye, but I have no idea how much.  Again, in my mind I was just experimenting.  (Any good scientist will tell you that part of experimenting is being able to replicate your results, which means a good amount of detailed notes. duh)

Of course, as fate would have it, the yarn didn't take the dye evenly and came out with a really nice mottled effect.  One I would love to reproduce on another skein so that I have enough to make something other than a scarf.



The effect is hard to see in the photo as it is very subtle, but in the right light it moves from the original light blue to pink and light purple.  




I don't know if I will try to recreate this or not.  On one hand, it would be great to have more yardage, but on the other hand, I could just end up with another skein that ends up being a one of a kind scarf.  Then again, if I d0 enough experimenting in the same hue I could take all the skeins and make a shawl.

The one thing I know for sure . . . from now on I will make precise measurements and take detailed notes about exactly what I am doing.  This way when a happy accident like this one happens I will hopefully be able to recreate it.

No comments: