Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Spumoni isn't just an ice cream flavor

My Kool-aid run the other day was not very successful.  I found some Orange, but no other non-red color.  I will continue my search and when I find the other colors I will stock up.  

Instead, I purchased more Wiltons colors and had fun experimenting with hand painting sections of yarn.

For this experiment I used the cold pour method on some off white Patons Classic Merino.   I soaked the yarn in a vinegar/water solution for a couple of hours and then  placed it on plastic wrap on my kitchen table.

I mixed up approximately 1/8 teaspoon with one cup of water and a glug of vinegar for each dye.  I used pink, brown, and moss green.  I added a few drops of yellow food coloring to the moss green to make it a little brighter.

I then poured it on sections of the yarn (the kids had great fun watching mommy make a mess with the dye in squirt bottles), wrapped it in saran wrap, put it in a baking dish, covered it in foil, and put it in the oven at 225 for a couple of hours.

Unfortunately, in all the handling of the yarn I twisted it up and even though I had put ties through it in various places it was very tangled when I removed it from its encasement.  I also cut part of the yarn when I was cutting the plastic wrap off.

I hung it to dry in the shower and then 
my dear husband and I spent close to an hour trying to untangle and reskein the yarn.   We ended up having to cut it in several places.  

Luckily, this was just an experiment and I wasn't planning on knitting something special with it. I think I will  use the yarn to to experiment with felting and make some felted coasters. 
 I call the color Spumoni Ice Cream.

No comments: