Friday, July 4, 2008

Starting at the beginning

I have always had someone in my life that would knit or crochet around me.  I have always been fascinated by the ability to take fiber, spin it, and then with two (sometimes more) sticks, make it into clothing.

About 6 years ago a friend of mine decided to teach herself how to knit.  It was the trendy thing to do at the time (that's not necessarily why she did it) so I decided it would be a good time to try it out.  

At first, I had great difficulty.  I am left handed and I couldn't decide if I wanted to knit left handed and have to spend time reversing every pattern written or if I wanted to train my hands to knit right handed.  After a few very frustrating attempts at left handed knitting, I gave up and began to teach myself to knit right handed.  As such, I do knit slower than most people I know and I almost always have to watch what I am knitting.  I don't mind, because knitting has become my form of meditation.

There were a few years that I barely touched my needles so that every time I tried to knit I had to relearn what I was doing.   Then one day, I don't even remember when, I found myself addicted to yarn.  At the start of the addiction I didn't really know fiber very well.  I bought because of color or texture not really understanding how much of a particular yarn I would need for a project or if it was appropriate for the project.  As a result, I have numerous balls of yarn that may never be used, but are pretty to look at.  I think this is a fairly common problem for beginning yarnaholics.  

Now, several years later, I am selective about my fiber purchases.  However, as hard as I try to tell myself that I shouldn't buy yarn unless I have a specific project in mind, it just won't stick.  I do make sure that I buy enough for some project, just not a specific project all the time.  I have all my yarn displayed in cubby holes and I look at it all the time.  

I love my yarn almost as much as I love my children.  :)


No comments: