Saturday, July 19, 2008

Who needs opposable thumbs?

Well quite frankly, any human that wants to be separated from the animals does.  For the purposes of this blog, I'm going to limit it to anyone that wants to knit.

That would be me, and that would be what I am lacking right now.  At least on my right hand.

I had been experiencing increasing pain in my right thumb and wrist over the past couple of weeks.  I started to notice it when I was doing laundry.  Picking the wet clothes up out of the washer was painful (and not in the "I really dislike doing laundry" type of way).  Since I wasn't really experiencing it any other time I just blew it off.  Then I started to notice that I was having a hard time opening jars and my hand would get tired quickly while knitting.   

Last weekend I hit a (figurative) wall with the pain.  I actually had to stop knitting completely; it was just too painful.  I decided it was time to go see my doctor.

My suspicions were confirmed.  I have severe tendonitis in my right wrist/thumb.  As such I have two new best friends, my brace and my ice pack.  The brace I get to wear 24/7 until I go back to the doctor on the 29th, and with the ice pack I get to try to achieve frostbite (OK not really, but it certainly feels that way). 

This, of course, means no knitting.  For a yarnaholic, like myself, this is truly depressing.  I actually have to sit and watch TV without anything else to do.  My hands feel naked without my beloved needles and yarn and it has only been two days.

So I have decided that I am going to purchase more books on color and textile crafts to feed my growing addiction to dyeing.  If I can't actually work with my fibers I can read about cool things to do and get some ideas for when I have use of both my hands again.

No comments: