Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Young Scientist


Yesterday, I put my 9 year old stepson on a plane to go visit his paternal grandparents on the other side of the country.  This is the third year in a row we have taken him to the airport and watched him fly off on his own.  It doesn't get any easier to see him leave or to have him gone for several weeks.   He loves it.

Waiting in the terminal yesterday, my husband and I were discussing  my yarn dyeing and how I want to learn to spin my own yarn.  My son ( I rarely refer to him as my stepson), who is a budding young scientist, was listening with rapt attention.   You could see the wheels turning as I was talking about the use of food grade dyes versus acid dyes (that I have yet to try).   

I guess he keyed in on the word food, because he immediately started offering up suggestions of foods of varying colors that we could use to dye my yarn.  Now, I should say that I have never really mentioned the whole natural dye area, his mind just made the natural jump that he could find food that stain his lips and use it to dye yarn.   He started with some that wouldn't really work (the inside of an apple to get dull white), but as soon as I mentioned things like berries he started making some really wonderful suggestions.

I have promised that as soon as he gets back we will try doing some natural dyeing and see what happens.  He even wants to try his hand at painting some yarn.

I can't wait until he gets home.  I already miss him.

No comments: