Monday, May 18, 2009

Sock It To Me

Yes, I know it's a corny title, but I couldn't help it.

One of the things I encountered early on in my knitting was the obsession with socks.  Not my obsession, but other knitters’ obsession.   I just didn’t get it.  What could be so great about knitting socks?   Socks are cheap to buy and good yarn is expensive.  Yeah, yeah I get that it’s the experience of actually knitting them, not necessarily the finished product that is the obsession. 

Then I started dyeing yarn.  So much of what I was reading on the forums and blogs had to do with dyeing sock yarn.  Here it was again . . . socks.  The more I read the more I realized there must be something to this sock knitting thing and I had to try it out and see what the hubbub was all about.

I found a bunch of sock yarn relatively cheap and decided it was a good time.  I would make myself a pair of socks (that way if the first attempt was atrocious no one would be the wiser).  Obviously, since I am willing to blog about it the experience wasn’t bad.

In fact, I now totally get why knitters become obsessed with socks (and dyeing yarn for socks). 

The first sock started out a bit rough . . .you can easily see where I joined the yarn and there are a couple of places where you can see a small ladder due to the switching from one needle to the next.   Once I got into it, the knitting went very quickly and, while I was intimidated at first, the turning of the heel was really fun and so was the toe.

The second sock went better, except for the fact that I wasn’t able to really match the self-striping yarn pattern.  You can’t really tell unless you see my toes, so overall I would say it was a success.  I mean how many people outside of my kids, my husband, and anyone reading this post are ever going to see the toes.  

As of this post I have now finished two more pairs and have been stockpiling patterns for future socks.   I’ve also been planning on some yarn dyeing for socks, but I’ll leave that for another post.

No comments: