Wednesday, September 22, 2010

WIP Wednesday

This past Sunday I began a new project.  I started working on the Coin Lace Stole pattern that goes along with the yarn I just purchased.  Now, I have knit lace before, but generally the pattern has been very straight forward and the piece hasn't been very big.  For instance I knit the lace garter that I wore at my wedding as well as the lace handbag I carried.  To be honest, the hardest part of those projects was actually seaming and lining them.  I have attempted to knit a lace scarf a few years ago and got so frustrated I frogged the entire thing and the yarn I was using is still sitting in my stash . . . untouched.

This lace project just looked so beautiful that I felt compelled to attempt it. 

So far, things are going well.  I got off to a rocky start in two ways: reading the chart wrong and placing my stitch market in the wrong place.  Well, I guess the two are so closely related that I could say that I just made on really big mistake.  Luckily, I made the mistake early on in the pattern and only had to rip out 27 rows.  Since this pattern is knit starting in the corner and increasing across the rows, I really didn't have to rip out too many stitches.

The issue was that this particular stole is made with dropped stitches and I dropped the wrong stitch on the first section repeat.  Having not worked on a large project like this before, and definitely not one that was knit starting from the corner, I was very unsure of how to read the chart when it came to repeating multi-row sections.

I could have called a friend and asked for help, but I am always determined to figure it out myself.  So I scoured the internet looking for advice.  After reading many articles on how to read a chart and realizing that I already knew how to read the chart, I started back at the beginning.  I came to understand that it wasn't that I didn't know how to read the chart, but more that I hadn't counted the correct number of stitches before dropping one. In my defense, when I printed out the chart the grid lines didn't print so it makes it a little tougher to count stitches.

All in all, it didn't take me long to reknit the 27 rows and I'm now on the 5th repeat of this section, growing the width of the stole.  I have a couple of long (like 8+ hour long) car rides this weekend where I am sure much more will be done on this project.  Of course, my real hope for the trip is that I actually finish all the knitting on my husband's sweater so that I can seam it, add the zipper and finally be done . . . almost a year after I started it.

1 comment:

Nancy McCarroll - Arts, Crafts and Favorites said...

Good for you for sticking with it. It looks pretty already. Your perserverance is to be commended! I think I'll do the KAL on this shawl on the Ravelry group, so can get some help from you if needed. Thanks.