Saturday, October 9, 2010

Crazy Reading Week

As much as I love knitting, there are some weeks where it just has to take a back seat to everything else.  This was one of those weeks.  I think I picked up my needles once since Sunday.

This is due in part to one of my other loves, reading. (The other craziness was work, but, trust me, that you don't want to hear about that.)  Like knitting, I usually have 2 or 3 books going at once and I bounce back and forth between the stories depending on my mood.  However, this week was dedicated entirely to The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo by Stieg Larsson.

I started reading this book back in August after bowing to peer pressure.  I generally stay away from books that people are simply gushing over.  I know that may sound backwards, but I often find the book to be disappointing.   People often build up how great the book is and the expectations get set so high that it rarely lives up to the hype.  On the other hand, I am also the kind of person that doesn't like not understanding references to current happenings in pop culture. (This is why I subjected myself to watching sparkling vampires. Yikes!) Which means that in August this book hit the point when my need to get the references outweighed my possible disappointment.

I have to say that the book started out very slow.  I wasn't even sure that I was going to make it past the first chapters.  Then, about a quarter of the way through the book it started to get really interesting.  I was picking it up more frequently and getting caught up in the story.  Over this last week, I went from being fifty percent done with the book (I read on a kindle so my frame of reference is percentage complete instead of page numbers) to being eighty-six percent complete with the full intention of being done by tonight.

I will say that I found many of the scenes very disturbing (the author described in detail some very sadistic murders), but if you can get past that aspect it is a very interesting book.  I plan on reading the other two books in the series.  I have been told that the second book doesn't have quite the disturbing content that the first one does.  However, before I read The Girl Who Played with Fire, I think I will ease my mind a little by reading something like Confessions of a Shopaholic.

No comments: