Sunday, October 31, 2010

Halloween

This is my favorite time of year.  The weather starts cooling off (although this year it never really got hot) and I can start wearing sweaters.  I love a good, cloudy sky and the smell of the air just before the rain starts to fall. (My joints don't like that rainy weather season quite as much.)  Most of all . . . I love Halloween.

I've loved Halloween ever since I was a child.  Not so much getting scared, but the carving pumpkins, dressing up in costume and, as I have gotten older, handing out the candy to the kids and seeing their costumes.  I can't remember many years in my life when I didn't wear some sort of costume for Halloween.  I delight in putting together costumes from pieces of clothes I have already and then maybe buying a few pieces to make it complete.  I also love playing with make-up.  Ever since I took a stage make-up class in college I have been fascinated with creating Halloween make-up.  It's so much fun to see other people's reaction to it.  Taking it off at the end of the night isn't always as fun.

The other part of Halloween that I love is pumpkins.  A few years ago, we started the tradition of going to the local pumpkin farm to pick our own pumpkins instead of just going to a pumpkin patch set up in the grocery store parking lot.  We head out early in the morning so that we can wander the fields of pumpkins searching for just the right combination of size, color and surface area. 

The great thing about this farm is that they also have a corn maze and hay rides, and some years they have a pumpkin cannon.  Watching those pumpkins fly through the air and go splat on the other side of the farm is much more fun than you would think.  The kids really love it. 

The kids also love running around finding the oddest looking pumpkins and taking pictures.  Pictures of pumpkins, pictures of them in the giant wood cut outs that you poke your head through, pictures of them sitting on the giant pile of hay bales and pumpkins.   You would think at their ages they would be sick of Mom taking all these pictures of them, but nope.  Which is a really good thing as I tend to have my camera permanently slung around my neck. 


Ok, so maybe it isn't so much that they like taking the pictures, but more that they are resigned to the fact that I won't let them not take them.  Either way, it's part of what makes this time of year so special.

Happy Halloween!

No comments: