Saturday, October 30, 2010

NaNoWriMo or NaKniSweMo???

To write or to knit, that is the question.  A least the question that sits before me this weekend.

November is both National Novel Writing Month (NaNoWriMo) (writers attempt to write 50,000 words of a novel in 30 days)  and National Knit a Sweater in a Month (NoKniSweMo) (knitters attempt to start and finish a sweater during the month of November).  Both are near and dear to my heart, but, alas, I cannot do both and must choose.

I've attempted NaNoWriMo many years and last year was the first time that I was actually able to complete the 50K words.  In order to do so you must write around 1,666 words a day.  It is no coincidence that the last three numbers of the daily count are 666, this task is evil. Don't get me wrong.  When you finish 50K words in that short amount of time you feel a great sense of accomplishment.  It's just the getting there that is evil.  You have to put everything else on hold.  Any other activity that you normally spend your free time on is gone for the month of November.  Family, friends, pets all take a backseat to the writing.  It is only one month, but you have no idea how hard it is until you attempt it.  I have an idea for another story that I could use this year and I have done enough prep work (which is all you are allowed to do before Nov 1) that it wouldn't be hard to take this on starting Monday.

That being said, I have never attempted NaKniSweMo.  I have a couple of other projects that I either need to finish this weekend or set aside for a month in order to do this.  I think my husband might divorce me if I don't get his sweater finished (well, maybe that is harsh, but he certainly will pout a lot).  I don't have much left to knit on the sweater, but  I have to block it, seam it and sew in the zipper.  On the other hand, I have a sweater pattern and all the yarn to knit a sweater that I have wanted for myself for a couple of years.  I could spend the rest of today and part of tomorrow finishing the husband's sweater and try to fit in time to finish it off during the month.  Maybe use that time as a little break from my sweater.

Both tasks are monumental.   Both tasks, while a bit evil, are a lot of fun.  If I can complete either one it will be a big accomplishment.

Decisions, decisions.

No comments: