Thursday, November 4, 2010

What have I gotten myself into?

You know, that's exactly what I thought when I started NaNoWriMo last year and now one year later I feel the same way about NaKniSweMo.

Do I really think that I can knit a sweater (or at least 50,000 stitches of a sweater) in one month???  I guess we will find out. 

I started working on the Windowpane Coat by Deborah Newton.  I fell in love with this pattern when I first saw it on the cover of Interweave Knits.  I've had the yarn and pattern sitting around my house for at least a year, but I always felt like I just didn't have the time to knit the coat, or it was too hot to start on a wool coat, or some other equally viable excuse.  

Last year, one of the reasons I participated in NaNoWriMo was to prove to myself that I actually could meet such a large goal if I really committed myself to it.  It wasn't easy, but I stuck with it and it felt really good.   I am looking at NaKniSweMo the same way.   I know that given a deadline and a strong commitment to myself, I can complete this task. 

I started out a little rough.  I had to rip out and reknit the border on the first back piece and that cost me a day of knitting (OK, so it wasn't a full day, more like an hour, but that was all the time I had to knit that day.).  I also hurt my back which has made it difficult to sit and knit for long periods of time.  That being said (and trying to remain positive), my back is healing faster than the doctor said it would and I was able to catch up to where I had been in the pattern and things are moving along at a good pace. I haven't knit this regularly in a long time and it feels really good.

4 days down . . . 26 to go.

2 comments:

Nikki said...

It looks like you're doing great so far!

californiabliss said...

You can do it! I have faith in you :-) just keep plugging away and before you know it the coat will be finished!