Sunday, December 26, 2010

The Day After

Yesterday was Christmas.  My husband and I awoke earlier than the kids, made coffee and waited.  Just about the time that we were starting to think we should make some noise to wake up the kids, we heard our son's alarm clock going off.  

Now, something you have to know is that he never, and I mean never, gets up when his alarm goes off the first time. (He's getting a head start on being an excellent teenager next year.) Yesterday was the exception.  He had set it for 6:30am and he was UP as soon as it started to beep.  Of course, his little sister was still sleeping. Well, she was until we gave him permission to go into her room and wake her up.  At first she was very mad, then she quickly remembered what day it was and got up and ran downstairs.

And so Christmas day 2010 began.  

Everyone was happy at the gifts the received, but, more importantly, everyone was delighted to watch as the gifts they gave were opened. 

We quickly finished our family Christmas so that we could get on the road to our larger family Christmas celebration.  This year there were 12 of us gathered.  We ate and played games and ate and talked and ate and generally just spent time together (and did I mention the eating thing?).  Then, when we could stand it no longer, we opened gifts.  The kids always go first so that they have something to keep them occupied while the adults open gifts.  This was the moment I had been anticipating for the last month.

Last week, I posted that I wasn't sure that I would finish the gift I was knitting.  Well, I managed to get it knitted, blocked and wrapped by 8pm on Christmas eve. What a great feeling that was.

 I was really happy with how it turned out, but I was nervous that my mom wasn't going to like it. (I know, she's my mom and no matter what she would like it, but still I think every knitter is a bit nervous giving a hand knit gift to anyone.) I kept asking my husband if he thought she would like it.  I guess I asked a lot, because he finally told me to stop asking and that she was going to love it.

Not only did she loved it, but my aunt also loved it and immediately said that she was going to rig next year's name drawing so that I got her name, because she wanted a hand knit gift. 

 All in all it was a wonderful Christmas. 

No comments: