Wednesday, December 1, 2010

NaKniSweMo Closes

Yesterday was the final day of NaKniSweMo for this year. (Which by the way means today is December first and I can't believe this year is almost over.)

Did I finish my sweater . . .no.
Do I feel a sense of failure . . .no.

I spent a good deal of time thinking about the difference between NaNoWriMo (which I have completed) and NaKniSweMo (which I did not complete). The conclusion that I have come to is these two events are vastly different.

Now, you might say, "Of course they are. One involves writing a book and the other involves knitting a sweater.  The two talents aren't even related."  However, I mean in a, less obvious, and more fundamentally challenging way.

In NaNoWriMo the goal is to write 50,000 words of a novel.  No one says they have to be of high quality.  In fact, they don't even have to make a lot of sense.  It is not an exercise in producing a finished, polished novel.  It is meant to get writers into the practice of writing on a daily basis. Throughout the month you are even reminded not to care about the quality as participants are fond of using the phrase, December is for editing.

Ah, editing.  That isn't something you can do once you have knit 50,000 stitches of a sweater. (Well, you can, but it's called frogging and reknitting.  Not really the same as editing text.)  In other words, you have to care about the quality of the stitches as you are knitting them and go back and fix mistakes as soon as they are discovered.  For a slow knitter like me, this makes the task of completing 50k stitches in a month very daunting. 

But then, this is where the two challenges are the same, at least for me.  NaNoWriMo did get me into a more regular writing habit and now NaKniSweMo has put me back on track with regular knitting time.  It has reminded me why I love knitting and why I should pick up the needles more often.  So in that sense, I feel like I have completed NaKniSweMo and in a few more weeks I should have a finished sweater to show for it.  One that I have been wanting to knit for a couple of years.  

Sounds like a win to me.

No comments: