On October 25th, 2009 I started working on the Avast Sweater by Jesse Loesberg for my husband. Since it was mostly stockinette stitch, I figured that it would knit up very quickly. On Dec 31, 2010 I finally finished the sweater.
The fact that this project took me over a year to complete has nothing to do with the pattern. It really should have knit up as quickly as I expected it, but here is a breakdown of why it took my so long:
I ended up with what I though was a flare up of tendinitis in my wrist so I stopped knitting for a couple of months to help it heal. When the pain didn't go away I went to the doctor. After a few months of appointments I was diagnosed with RA. After another month of medication I was pain free and back to my knitting. This was this past August . . . 10 months after I started the sweater.
At this point I was knitting the sleeves. Silly me, I wasn't knitting them at the same time and as they were entirely stockinette I got very bored with the project and set it aside for other, more interesting projects. Then, once I finally knit the second sleeve and was ready to attach them to knit the yoke, I discovered that they were not the same size. I wrote post about that in September.
I finally finished all the knitting at the end of October and just had the seaming left to do. At this point I distracted myself from the project with NaKniSweMo and knitting a Christmas present. Finally, I vowed to my self that I would have this sweater done before the end of 2010. A goal I knew I could accomplish as I had the week after Christmas off from work.
It didn't take me long to seam everything together. (I rather enjoy the act of seaming a garment.) The last hurdle to completion . . . installing a zipper. Yikes! This was something I had never attempted before. I always relish learning a new technique, but, to be honest, this one scared me. Luckily, the Winter Interweave Knits had recently arrived and it had an article on a new zipper technique.
Tools acquired, I started the process of adding the zipper. It took a long time to prep the zipper (totally worth it though). When I finished sewing in one side I felt such a sense of accomplishment that I was ready to tackle the second side. (Note: to avoid what happened next, always pin your zippers properly.) I quickly started work on the second side and as soon as I was finished I handed to my husband and proudly said, "Try it on!"
That was when I discovered that one side of his collar was a good two inches higher than the other side. ARGH! I new this couldn't be possible as it was knit in one piece so they both had to have the same number of stitches. It took a few minutes for me to realize that even though I had even marked the chain stitches on the zipper I hadn't sewn them into the same stitches on each side.
So while I consider December 31, 2010 the completion date for the sweater, I will admit that I spent New Year's Day 2011 ripping out and correcting one side of the zipper. I'm not totally happy with the end result, but I have deemed it good enough and I have closed the books on The Husband's Sweater!