Saturday, January 1, 2011

A Year of No New Yarn

I'm not one for making New Year's resolutions.  I always view it as setting myself up for failure.  Instead, I set myself up for success by making goals for the year.

You may be asking yourself, "What's the difference?"

The difference is simply semantics.  Resolutions, to me, imply that I want to change something instead of accomplish something.  Yes, I know that I could state the resolution in the same way I state a goal.  I've already admitted it is a game of semantics.

Anyway, this year my goal is to knit only with the yarn I have in my stash*.  I have a large stash (after all I'm a self professed yarnaholic) and a lot of it was bought for specific projects.  I've decided it is time to knit them all.  I also have a lot of yarn that was purchased simply because it was pretty/soft/on sale and it is waiting for the right project.  I believe this is the year to find those projects as well. 

Now, I don't think that I will make it through my entire stash this year, but a sub-goal is to finish all the UFOs sitting around my house. (Yes, Barbs this includes the ugly monkey and the teddy bear.)  Having finally finished my husband's sweater last night, I feel that I am starting out the new year ahead of the game.

While I sit here writing this post and watching the Rose Parade, I feel the urge to pick up my needles and start working towards my 2011 goal.  I'm excited to discover what forgotten yarn awaits me in the bottom of my stash (and I'm trying to ignore the feeling that not buying new yarn this year is going to be difficult).

What is your knitting goal for the year?

*The only exception is if I need to knit a gift and I don't have appropriate yarn in my stash, but I have to look through my entire stash before making that determination.

1 comment:

californiabliss said...

hee, hee! It will be an amazing and exciting day when you finish those toys ;-)

Good luck with the Stash busting this year! I will be joining you in this!

Happy New Year!