Monday, March 11, 2013

The Dreaded "E" Word

 I hate this word so much that I am having a hard time starting this post.  Fine, I'll just say it . . .

Exercise! (whew)

Along with knitting, almost all other activities took a hiatus while I was in school. . . and I mean all.  I basically became a couch potato, except it wasn't the TV I was occupied with, it was reading text books and writing papers. Could I have found time, 10 minutes here and there, to move more than I was . . .absolutely.  I recognize I used school as an excuse.  Now, I am paying the price.

Not only did I gain back all the weight I had worked hard to lose, but I get winded easily and my RA is worse.  Although weight loss seems like it would motivate me, it just doesn't.  Don't get me wrong, I want to lose weight, but that in and of itself is not a motivating factor.  It's really much simpler than that.

I want to feel better.

When I was working out every morning before getting the kids ready for school, I had more energy and I felt happier.  The more I moved, the less my joints hurt.  I want that back in my life.  If I lose a few pounds in the process, great.  If not, fine by me.

As of today, I am rededicating myself to moving everyday for at least 20 minutes.

I started this morning with my stability ball.  I hate that even the beginner routine had me huffing and puffing.  I'm a competitive person by nature, and I did not like that the women on the TV were not even breaking a sweat as I continually wiped my forehead.  The desire to make it look as easy as it should be is enough motivation to keep me going for now.  Furthermore, I am the kind of person that believes the Universe puts signs in front of us to point us down the right path.  Today, my daily affirmation site (LouiseHay.com) said the following:
"I lovingly take care of my body. I am in tip-top shape."

Thanks, Universe. I get it.  

No comments: