Friday, October 25, 2013

The Year Long Scarf

A co-worker, who is also a knitter, and I were in the kitchen at work heating up our lunches yesterday.  I noticed she had a project with her and we got to talking about what we are working on, what we bring to work and so forth while waiting for our food.  She mentioned that she had seen a project on Pintrest where a knitter had knit one row of a scarf a day to match the color of the sky.  We both thought this was an interesting idea for a project and then she said "or you could do a color to match your mood that day."

I think this is a brilliant idea.

Her birthday was yesterday and mine is in a couple of weeks so we both decided that we would start the scarf on our birthday and it would document this year in each of our lives.

Luckily, I have a little time to plan the color scheme (she was going home last night to see if it was even going to be possible).  I will predetermine what color corresponds to each emotion/mood and at the end of the day I will grab the appropriate color and knit.  However, unlike the project that inspired this idea, I think I will knit more than one row.  I haven't yet determined how many, it will probably depend on the weight of yarn and needle size I choose to use.  Maybe the number of rows will correspond to the intensity of the mood.  Well, I don't want to make it overly complicated.

Should be an interesting year.

No comments: