Sunday, August 10, 2014

Long Term Projects

I have a hat that I have been knitting for years.  It's not a complicated hat.  In fact, I would say it qualifies at mindless knitting.  The kind of knitting that doesn't even require you to look at it.  In the beginning, that term was reserved for anything in garter or stockinette. As my skills have grown, the term can now refer to any pattern that can be memorized easily.  That is what this hat is.

So why have I been knitting it for years?

It started out as chemo hat for a friend.  But I realized that it wasn't really going to be a good choice for that situation, so I set it aside in favor of other choices for her.  By set it aside, I mean I had it in a purse that I rarely used and because it wasn't a priority project anymore, I completely forgot about it. (Yes, it was staring at me as a WIP in my Ravelry queue, but I was blind to it.)  I meant to finish it and give it to my daughter, but again, it slipped my mind.

Then about a year ago, I went to use the purse and discovered the project sitting inside.  I thought, "what the heck, I'll take it with me."  It had been so long though that I couldn't remember the simple pattern.  When I got home, I immediately looked it up and decided that the project would live in this purse to be the mindless knitting I took whenever I needed something small to work on.

As the project has no definitive purpose anymore, I don't particularly care when it gets finished.   So it goes on car rides, to the fair and last week it went to the movies.

We went to see Guardians of the Galaxy. (Loved it!) I knew we were going to have to get there early, which would mean plenty of time for mindless knitting.  Don't get me wrong, I love to watch the 20 minute pre-show of stuff I didn't know I should care about, but I was feeling restless and knew my hands would need to be occupied.

This time I discovered the one problem with mindless knitting. . . it can't be completely mindless.  As you can see from the picture I was using double pointed needles.  At one point, I ended up with an extra needle with no stitches on it.  Yep, I had just kept knitting and put two needles worth of stitches on one needle.  I realized something was wrong when the knitting got REALLY tight.  Then I saw the extra needle sitting in the purse.  Drat!  I spent the next several minutes rearranging the stitches and by the time I had them back in order the previews trailers were starting.

Away went the project and I have no idea when it will make another appearance.  I know someday I will finish this hat, but I think part of the fun now is not knowing when.

No comments: