Wednesday, August 6, 2014

More Time for Knitting

I'm trying to look on the bright side of my current situation.  Let me back up for a minute and give you some details. . .

A few years ago I had a case of Achilles tendonitis.  It took a couple of months to heal, but then everything seemed OK.  That is until I decided to start running.

Knowing that I had this issue in my past, I took a cautious approach to my training.  I researched and found a good interval program for beginners that wouldn't push me too far too fast.  Or so I thought.  A month or so into the program, I noticed some soreness in my calf.  I backed off and found some additional stretches to alleviate the tightness.  Things seemed to be going better until one day, about midway through my run, I began to have a familiar pain in my leg.  I immediately stopped and hobbled back to my house.

I took a couple of weeks off and did home treatment: icing it, taking my anti-inflammatory meds, etc.  When I went back to running I decided to use a treadmill for a while to slightly lessen the impact on my body.  It wasn't feeling good.  I went back to my doctor and ended up in a walking boot with a very solid plan for recovery. (Luckily my GP used to run marathons so he knew exactly the way to get me back on my feet).

I followed his plan exactly, and things were progressing well.  Until I had a really strenuous week at work where I was on my feet for many hours, walking all over our venues.  I started to feel the soreness building back up.  (At this point I was well into exercising again, so this amount of walking shouldn't have been a problem.)  Back to the doctor I went and this time I ended up with a referral to a podiatrist.

This bring us up to this past week.

I saw the podiatrist and got two pieces of good news: there is nothing of significance in my foot x-ray, and every treatment I have done before has been correct.  Well, that last bit is both good and bad.  It means it should have worked and everything should be fine, but it is not.  In fact, when he was poking around on my Achilles tendon, he found a spot that was so tender I almost kicked him.

I'm now back in the walking boot until I complete a round of specific modality therapy (which I am still waiting on the insurance to approve) and then we see what happens.  The hope is that this therapy clears it up and then I get some good insoles for my shoes to keep it from recurring.

Like I said, I'm trying to look at the bright side.  Because I am supposed to stay off my foot as much as possible, I see significant amounts of time dedicated to sitting on the couch knitting in my future.  I guess everything has it's upside!

No comments: