Wednesday, August 13, 2014

Not My Usual Topic

Life is short and precious.  Why does it always seem to take the death of a beloved person (either actually known or known for his/her work) to remind us of that.

This week Robin Williams died.  Mork went back to Ork and I hope he finds peace there that he couldn't find on Earth.

It's a real wake-up call, that you just never know what is going on inside someone. 

I'm still struggling to wrap my brain around the fact that he took his own life.  I'm not sure why his death hit me so hard or why it has affected me so much.  Yes, I loved his work.  From a young age Robin was there.  I remember eagerly awaiting the next episode of Mork & Mindy and sitting with my family watching it.  I also remember my younger brother running around the house endlessly saying Naa Noo Naa Noo (or however you spell that) while wearing rainbow suspenders and then attempting to sit on his head.

Maybe that is it.  Robin Williams was tied to many of my favorite memories and some of his work affected me profoundly. 

I remember seeing The Fisher King and being blown away by the depth of his ability.  It was so outside his normal film.  Dead Poet's Society really made me think about my life and why I wasn't seizing the day.  Bicentennial Man, which so many people didn't like, I loved, because it sparked a conversation with friends about what it means to be human.

He made me laugh endlessly.  Mrs. Doubtfire was such an amazing performance with so many great lines, many uttered so softly or so fast that it takes repeated watching to truly grasp everything.  And speaking of a multitude of characters, who can forget Genie.  Aladdin, would not have been as wildly successful as it was without his comic genius.

When his return to TV in The Crazy Ones was announced, I was excited.  Weekly doses of his comedy!  When it was cancelled I was sad, but thought, "I will look forward to what he is going to do next."  That's really it.  I was always able to look forward to his next performance, to seeing what his comic genius mind would come up with.  Now (after the last of his movies come out), I won't have that to look forward to.

I guess, all that's left to say is . . .

Thank you Robin Williams for sharing your genius with us and leaving behind such a rich library of performances for us to watch endlessly. 

Carpe diem!

No comments: